In general, greens are one of the healthiest ways to get lots of vitamins and minerals in a natural form. Endive is no exception. The following information is from the Discover Endive site.
More Than a Dozen Healthy Reasons To Enjoy Endive
- low in fat
- low in sodium
- cholesterol free
- very low in calories
- loaded with valuable vitamins and minerals — vitamins B and C, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, folate and selenium
- a good source of beta-carotene, which the body coverts into vitamin A
- a good source of heart-healthy potassium — one head of endive delivers over 50% of the potassium found in a banana
- high in complex fibers
- aids digestion
- promotes regularity
- helps prevent the absorption of cholesterol into the blood stream
- slows food metabolism
- helps with the removal of toxins from the digestive tract
I should note also that, although they’re healthy when eaten raw or cooked, endive in the raw state has the edge. See this below article for information on its cancer prevention benefits.
ENDIVE SCORES BIG WITH DR. OZ
One Cup of Endive a Week Can Reduce the Risk of Ovarian Cancer by 75%
During the premiere of the new Dr. Oz show, Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. William Li, a noted cancer researcher, featured foods that can cut the risk of ovarian cancer.
Number one on the list was endive.
In a study of more than 62,000 women in the Netherlands, those who ate endive had a 75% reduction in the risk of ovarian cancer.
Experts believe that one-third of cancers can be prevented by eating the right foods.
The good news is that you only have to consume one cup of raw endive a week to gain the anti-cancer benefit.
To view the Dr. Oz video, click on the link.
To read more about the anti-ovarian cancer diet, click on the link.